Tuesday 3 December 2013

The "Cakoi"


FIRST ATTEMPT!

Presentation wise ... errmmm ... I do believe I still need some work on it!

Taste-wise ... our toddler seems to like it and hubby seems to love it too! 

He did ask me to include kacang merah as the filling or prepare chicken curry on the side ... he was even contemplating on cream cheese!

So you see, for me, I just feel as if something is missing ...

I decided to make this cakoi as it is my daughter's favorite kuih. 

We used to buy it from our local kuih seller but each time we go, they're either not selling it or they'll say that they've run out of cakoi.

So I consulted my trusty friend, Google, and found various recipes online. 

Of course, I searched for the super simple one. 

After comparing notes (recipes), I landed on this one and used my trusted bread making machine (I'm not a pro in kneading the dough, seriously).
  

INGREDIENTS
400g multi-purpose flour
1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate
1 cup water
1 TBSP margarine (melted)
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP condensed milk
1 egg
1 TBSP instant yeast

Oil - to fry


METHOD

In the bread making machine bowl, chuck in all the ingredients above.

On the bread making machine, select 8 (bread dough) or set the timer for 30 minutes.

Once done, place the dough on a floured surface, let it rest for 10-15 minutes. 

The texture is slightly sticky but the dough should feel firm. 
(At this stage, my toddler started poking the dough with her finger before I realized it and asked her to stop! Had to give her some flour to play with ... as a distraction.)

Shape the dough into a rectangular shape, with a thickness of 1 cm.

Cut out pieces of 1 inch from this huge dough.

I used a metal chopstick to press (in the middle) of each piece.

Combine 2 pieces together.

Carefully lift the combined dough and place them in oil. 

Fry until it is golden brown (or to your liking). 







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)