Wednesday 7 October 2015

The First Post-partum Poop

I thought it was over and done with when I safely delivered Baby No. 2. 

Considering that I had Baby No. 1 approximately 4 years ago, I forgot how daunting it was to answer nature's call number 2 post-delivery. *grimaces*


You see, during pregnancy, I suffered from constipation and hemorrhoids.


So I had to worry about my diet to include tons of liquid and fiber AND suffer in silence with the oh-so-painful-hemorrhoids and kept thinking to myself why-can't-you-just-go-away???


During labor, I had to worry about accidentally emptying my bowels on my birthing bed and embarrassing myself (as if showing my Miss V for all to see in the labor room isn't embarrassing enough for me).


Hence, on the first night after delivering baby, the idea of even having to pee scares me, let alone poop.


I always had this visual where I'd probably tear my stitches apart when I take that first dump. 


I was too scared to make that first push and I'd hold off on it until I really had to go. 


I know, it isn't healthy but who could blame me for being horrified of pooping?


Did you know that the longer you wait to poop, the harder that stool will become? 


It'd probably turn hard like a brick ...


It took me several days to finally empty my bowels and I must say, it wasn't a pleasant one! 


I cried and was sweating (honestly felt like I was about to give birth ... again!) 


I cried because I was too scared that my stitches would come off. 


I was sweating because it was a tough job for me, really.


I adjusted my sitting position a few times, breathed in and out to calm myself down and started to push.


What helped me was the stool softener liquid which the hospital provided me.


For my successive passing motion sessions, I made sure that I drank tons of water (minimum of 2-3L to be exact), included oats in my diet in addition to having dates for breakfast on top of my butter and toast.


I couldn't adhere to the confinement rule of restricting my fluid intake (can't drink too much water as your womb will not shrink properly) since I'm the one who has to suffer the pain!


In that first week post-baby delivery, I'd spend around 15-20 minutes just to empty my bowels because I was being too careful not to split my stitches. 


At that point, I'd be thinking to myself, "I ain't gonna get pregnant after this!"


I guess there are mothers out there who probably said the same thing and had since delivered more babies. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)