Tuesday 27 October 2015

Going Out Sans Baby

My friends and I planned a gathering a month in advance, as we had to consider the different schedules of 10 people.

Up to the reunion date, I didn't think about expressing my breastmilk as I had initially planned to bring the 2 kids and hubby along. 

Unfortunately, the haze condition worsened and as we didn't want to expose The Baby and Lil' Tot to the harmful air, we decided that the kids should stay home and hubby was more than happy to look after them. 

So there I was, pumping away for The Baby's supply and reminisced the memories of pumping for Lil' Tot approximately 4 years ago.

My first experience of expressing breastmilk was a bit rocky. 

You see, before I returned to work, I was pumping every single hour, making sure that the bottles were full to the brim. 

Little did I know that the more I pumped, the more I stimulated my milk production. 

Imagine my horror when my breasts became even more engorged as a result! 

I was flabbergasted, didn't know what to do. 

I thought that the only solution was for me to pump and empty my breasts. 

It obviously didn't work. 

Every single morning when I woke up, my PJs would be soaking wet and breastmilk would be dripping from my breasts. 

I'd spent most of my time in the bathroom trying to express milk because it was engorged and painful.

Whenever I fed Lil' Tot, milk would be spraying onto her face like a water faucet and I'd be scrambling to minimize the spraying. 

I asked my mom how she handled it when she had us back in the day. 

She said she would put cabbages in her bra to manage the pain. 

I thought to myself, Nope, I'm not going to put any form of vegetables in my bra and walk around feeling like a mobile salad. 

As I sourced for information on managing engorgement and maintaining adequate milk supply, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and was able to return to work without worrying about engorged breasts or heavily leaking boobs.

I wrote about it here:
Engorged Breasts

Upon returning to work, lunch time meant spending time in the "Mother's Room" to express milk AND lunch in as well. 

I had the opportunity to chat with other mothers behind curtains too :) as each space is covered by a curtain.

As I pumped for The Baby this time around, after 4 years, I felt the same sense of emotions. 

I'm thankful for the breast pump as it allowed me to go out and leave The Baby at home, knowing that she'd be well fed even when I'm not around. 

Lil' Tot was so excited when she saw me dispense milk into The Baby's milk bottle and she was looking forward to feeding sessions with The Baby.

It was the first time, after being stuck to The Baby like glue, that I was able to go out alone without worrying about The Baby's milk. 

I went out that day, for the first time ever, to catch up with friends, and limited it to approximately 4 hours. 

I guess, being a mom, you can't stop wondering how the little one is so I ended up checking on them with the hubby after 2 hours being away. 

As I drove back home later that evening, I practically sped and kept updating hubby about my whereabouts and that I'd reach home soon. 

When I opened the door and stepped inside the house, Lil' Tot came running towards me and hugged me as if she hadn't seen me for ages! 

The Baby was calmly sitting in her swing chair, watching TV, oblivious to the fact the mommy was away for several hours. 

I knew that The Baby missed me so much because when I held her and fed her, it looked like she didn't want to let go and guzzled hungrily when she latched on.

At that moment, I knew, my decision to stop working was the best decision for our family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)