Thursday 15 October 2015

4 Ways to Handle Leaking Breasts

You know that feeling?

When you are breastfeeding your baby on one boob and the other one seems to want to dispense milk too?

When you wake up in the morning and you realize that your nursing wear is drenched, not with sweat but with milk?

When you try to breastfeed your baby and the milk seems to be spraying all over and hitting poor baby's face?

Well, here are 4 tips that might help you handle those leaking breasts, for now:

1) Pump more ... NOT! 
You know what pumping does? 
It'll stimulate your breasts to produce more milk. 
I've learnt it the hard way with my first born. 
I pumped my breasts until they're both empty. 
It feels so good to pump engorged breasts because you'll see the empty bottles filling up pretty fast! 
Unfortunately, I realized that my breasts quickly became fuller and so I've had to frequently pump every hour and I'll wake up in the mornings with an entirely soaked PJs just because I missed my pumping session. :( 
It was tougher at work because I just can't afford to step away from my desk to pump for 10 minutes every single hour.
So I had to control it and looked up online for answers.
No unnecessary pumping for me and breastfeeding-on-demand is a better option to control my milk production.

2) Nursing Pads
Please do invest in nursing pads!
The first couple of days when I returned to work after maternity leave, I forgot to wear my nursing pad.
It was so embarrassing whenever I experienced a let-down reflex and two round circles will form itself and can be seen on my shirt.  
You can't imagine how many times I've tugged on my shawl just to cover those two areas!
So I've invested in washable cotton nursing pads as they absorb leaks and keep clothes clean and dry (instead of smelling like sour milk by the end of a working day).
If your leaks are severe, you may want to bring extra pairs to work so you can change them and this also helps to avoid irritation.
They also do sell disposable pads.

3) Stem the Milk Flow
In the first few weeks, do not attempt to do this as you'll prevent a let-down or cause your milk ducts to clog.
You'll need to ensure that your milk production and feeding schedule is already in full swing.
Stemming the flow is by pressing on your nipples with your hand or folding your arms tightly against your breasts.
This helped me stop the spraying on baby's face when I attempt to breastfeed her.

4) Change in Dress Sense
You may opt for darker colors, I prefer black (the safest bet), for now until the leaking stops or is more under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)