Saturday 4 October 2014

Our Random Homeschool Day

This is how our day looks like with a 3 year old toddler. 

Do we achieve the same things on a daily basis? 

No. 

Do we sweep & mop the floor, clean our bathrooms, do the laundry and ensure that the house is spotless on a daily basis? 

No. 

Do I prepare meals AND bake cakes or cookies or bread or cupcakes daily?

No.

Am I a creative person who excels in arts & craft? 

No. 

Though I'm good at drawing a house with a tree on the side along with a mountain and sun in the background. 

If I'm feeling creative, I'll pop in a stream, flowers and a swing in the foreground. 

Out of nowhere, you could probably glimpse a rainbow in the horizon. 

Tadaaaa ... the same picture I've been drawing ever since I was in kindergarten :D

There will be days when an activity takes longer or the day does not go as planned or you're probably feeling down in the dumps and all you want to do is just read to your child or let him or her play on their own. 

It's ok. 

The schedule is just as a guide, a reference, to keep me in check on what I should plan for my daughter.

If we're able to achieve every single thing on the checklist, that's perfectly fine. 

If we're only able to do ONE thing in the checklist, that's perfectly fine too. 

As long as she's fed, bathed and brushes her teeth along with a quick afternoon nap, it's perfectly fine by me. 

She's only 3 anyway and the keyword here is that she plays. :)


WAKING UP
Today our toddler woke up really early, around 7am. 

She'd normally wake up around 9am so it was a surprise for us when we heard her tiny footsteps coming out from the room. 

Hubby was getting ready for work so I prepared breakfast for all of us. 


BREAKFAST
I popped in 2 slices of bread into the toaster after I asked our lil' tot whether she wanted butter and toast. 

I took out her small chocolate milk box from the fridge and placed it in front of her. 

I quickly whisked an egg and put the pan on the stove. 

I prepared cheese omelette with a slice of toast for hubby along with two cups of freshly brewed coffee for the both of us. 

Once we finished our breakfast and saw Daddy go off to work, she'll wash her plate then hit the shower.


LAUNDRY
We then took our bath towels to the washing machine to have them washed.


FREE PLAY
Our lil' tot settled down to play an online game and she requested for her formula milk. 

I took this opportunity to quickly check any messages / emails and respond accordingly if I was required to do so. 

Thereafter, she was playing with her soft toys and used the kitchen towel roll as her "telescope". 

She was running around the house with the "telescope".

Picture courtesy http://ourhomeoncountyroad39.blogspot.com/



ART & CRAFT
As she got tired of the "telescope", I handed her a paper where I've drawn some straight lines and asked her to cut out the pieces according to the lines drawn. 

She headed to her workstation to retrieve a pair of scissors and was cutting away. 

Once done, I asked her if she wanted to paste the pieces onto a piece of paper. 

She said "Yes!"

So off she went to retrieve her glue and a drawing paper from her workstation. 

I left her to her own devices on how she intended to structure the pieces of paper. 

Once done, I then asked if she wanted to paint. 

She got excited and took her paint bottles and set her paintbrush on the table. 

She started painting. 

First she used her paint brush then progressed to using her fingers.

I gave her one of her toy cars and told her "Ok, you can play around with this too." 

So she used the car tyres to spread the paint all over the paper. 

All the while, she made sure that she didn't paint over the pieces of paper she had glued initially.

Upon completing her masterpiece, we left it to dry so that we could hang it later in the evening. 



CLEANING UP
She took the paint brush and toy car to the sink, washed them clean and wiped them dry before storing both items back in its place. 

She brought a wet towel to the table so that she could wipe off the remnants of the paint from the surface. 

She made sure no paint was stuck on her tiny hands. 

I made sure that she helps around the house, by keeping her toys organised and off the floor when she's not playing with them. 

I'm fine if the floor is covered with her toys, as long as she's playing with her toys, however, if she's ignoring her toys, I'd request for her to clean up. 

As she was busy cleaning up her stuff from the painting session, I started up the oven and took out the ingredients to prepare her lunch. 


LUNCH
I placed the bolognese sauce and mozzarella cheese on the kitchen counter whilst I organised 4 slices of white bread on a baking tray. 

I called her to help me prepare lunch so she took her steps so that she could stand by the kitchen counter to prep her pizza bread. 

She spread the sauce and mozzarella cheese on all the bread and we popped them in the oven to bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese melted. 

She requested to have her lunch in front of the TV so the both of us watched Nick Jr while enjoying our pizza. 

I'd perform my prayers whilst she watches TV. 

She would occasionally request to join me in my prayers. 

She'll wash her own plate once she's done with lunch.


READING
After lunch, we sat down to read some books we borrowed from our local library a couple of days prior. 

We try to go to the library every week or every fortnight. 

On each visit, we would return the books we borrowed previously and select new books to borrow. 

The total number of books at any one time are 3 and you can borrow these books up to 2 weeks. 

In the event you wish to extend, you can call the number on the receipt they produced at the point of you borrowing them.


SWIMMING
Just so she could have a comfortable afternoon nap, we went for a swim when I saw that the weather was sunny and warm. 

Our pool isn't directly exposed to the sunlight so if it isn't warm enough, the water will be icy cold for her. :) 

We spent around 1 1/2 hours in the pool and went back into the house when I saw that the weather was about to get cloudy. 

As I bathed her with warm water in the bathroom, the rain suddenly came pouring down, heavily. 


AFTERNOON NAP
Once she was all warm and cosy in fresh clothes, I'd lay down with her and bf her until she falls asleep. 

She'd normally be asleep for a minimum of 2 hours. 

I'd end up sleeping with her for the same amount of time or I'd prepare dinner.

I would also perform my prayers around this time. 


FREE PLAY
Once she wakes up from her nap, she'll request for her formula and either play a game on the PC or watch TV. 


DINNER
Once Daddy is home, we'll have dinner together and she'll spend time with Daddy thereafter. 


FAMILY TIME
I'll perform my prayers and it's family time. 

We'll either catch a movie or they'll both bake or play. 


Activities would normally depend on what she wants to do for the day:
1. Writing letters / numbers
2. Reciting her A, B, C or Alif, Ba, Ta
3. Playing Lego
4. Playing with her soft toys
5. Completing house chores
6. Spending time outdoors ie at the playground
7. Play dates
8. etc

The list of activities can go on and on. 

I'd normally scout for ideas online, especially for toddlers.

Some interesting FB pages I'm currently following are:

quirkymomma.com

Learn with Play at Home

Fun-A-Day

Teach Preschool

Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds


And there are tons more sites for you to check out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)