Monday 2 September 2013

Downtime with Toddler


In the past couple of days, we spent our time mostly on the sofa or on the bed. 


I had the complete package: flu, cough, slight fever, headache + back ache + neck ache ... 

Our little toddler started this off with a flu ...


Day 1

It was towards the evening that I noticed our toddler sneezing and each time, clear mucus would come out. 

We armed her with a towel for her to bring around and wipe her nose. 

At times, she would be busy playing that she would forget the towel. 

Once she sneezes, Daddy would panic and run around looking for the towel to wipe her nose since the mucus was flowing half way down to her lips. 

Hehehehe 

Should see the look on hubby's face, all panicky and our toddler would just sit still until Daddy wipes the icky thing off her face.


Her body temperature wasn't high so I wasn't too concerned to bring her to the clinic, though hubby insisted on it.

I gathered information off the Internet and came to a conclusion that home remedies are the best for toddlers.

I, on the other hand, not only had flu but felt extremely weak so I consumed 1 tablet of Clarinese and drank tons of water and orange juice. 

I continued to breastfeed as per normal. 


Day 2

Our toddler's body temp was slightly higher in comparison to the previous day but was not at a worrying state. 

I provided her with orange juice, prepared chicken soup and noodles for her lunch and dinner and monitored her temperature. 

She was her usual cheerful self despite the flu and her bowel movements were normal too.


I prepared salt water drops for her flu. 

Mix 100ml warm water + 1/2 tsp sea salt. 

Got her to lie down so I could put two drops of the salt water in each nostril. 

Once she sits back up, the salt water would trickle out slowly so I would be able to wipe it off. 

Repeat this process 3 times a day.


Luckily, our toddler had no trouble eating her meals and was even asking for her snacks, not much can be said about me! 

I was too weak and had no appetite to eat at all! 

I was half-asleep on the sofa as I also had to be attentive to my toddler's needs. 

Despite the pain (headache + back ache + neck ache), I still had to ensure that our toddler was also doing OK. 

Yes, it was extremely challenging for me as I honestly had no energy left. 

I kept thinking about other moms who have to manage more than one child and I wonder HOW on earth do they manage this situation! 

I have nothing but RESPECT for these wonderful mothers!

My breastfeeding sessions are as per normal but I do feel that she tends to cling more considering that she was feeling under the weather.

We spent most of the afternoon in bed after lunch to sleep.

At night, I had trouble sleeping due to the pain and I applied ointment on my head, neck and back.   



 Day 3

Our toddler was slightly better but I became worse off. 

The pain just wouldn't go away. 

I slept most of the day and our toddler was understanding enough where she would come to me and lift my shirt to bf. 

I continued giving her salt water drops, water, juice and chicken soup.


I slept off at night crying, as the pain was unbearable. 



Hubby came home from work quite late after being caught in massive traffic jam. 

He suffered from flu too. 

Took his medication, dinner, showered and just dozed off in bed.




Day 4


It was a Saturday so hubby was around to help care for our toddler whilst I worked on trying to get better.



Both of them went to buy breakfast at our local mamak shop. 

Since I had no appetite to eat, I ordered thosai and hot neslo (nescafe + milo). 

Got hubby to buy honey too as we started coughing the previous evening.



Our toddler was so happy to get her thosai and finished quite a huge portion, which was good. 

I was thankful too for the hot drink, I continued sipping on my drink as my throat was killing me!



Hubby prepared lunch as I had no energy to move about, coupled with a neck ache and slight headache which just wouldn't go away. 



In the evening, I just couldn't stand having a painful sore throat and whilst I was surfing the Internet, I came across "tamarind juice". 

OWH EM GEE!!!! 

I totally forgot about tamarind juice and how it HUGELY HELPS with sore throat! 



I got up quickly and went to the kitchen to boil water. 

I took 1 tbsp of tamarind and placed it in a cup of warm water. 

I threw away the seeds and strained the juice in a cup. 

I mixed the juice with 1 tsp of salt. This is my personal concoction. 



I prepared a different mixture for hubby. 

1 tbsp of tamarind + 4 tbsp of honey + ice cubes. He likes his drink cold. 



That night, I slept off with a smile ... no more painful throat and the neck ache + headache was gone. 




Day 5



Felt MUCH better today that I asked hubby to go out for breakfast! 



Yes, I was famished since I had not had a decent meal in the past couple of days! 

So I had nasi lemak and we ordered our toddler noodle soup. 

Since she couldn't finish it, I finished hers! 



Our toddler only has a slight cough and her flu is gone. 

I continue with the tamarind juice mix and bought Fisherman's Friend coz at times, I would suddenly cough non-stop for a couple of seconds. 



Still recovering but I'm glad that we needn't visit the doctor to cure our cold and flu this time around. 



Home remedies ROCK!!!!


p/s: I decided on getting treated at home after seeing that our toddler's body temperature isn't that high, she was still active, eating as per normal, was urinating normally and had normal bowel movements. 

Please seek professional medical advise if your toddler's body temperature is high or isn't being his / her normal self. 

Only YOU know what's best for your toddler and when you should be concerned and pay a visit to the clinic. 

This is my personal experience as I am not qualified to offer any professional medical advise.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)