Monday 28 April 2014

Passport Renewal @ Wangsa Maju

When hubby told me that I needed to renew my passport, of course I reacted with a huge sigh and groan. 

I was thinking about having to wake up early and leaving the house by 6.30am, dragging along a sleepy toddler so that we could queue in front of the Immigration Office just to take a number! 

Last Friday, we initially planned to leave the house early.
Didn't expect our toddler to wake up around the same time, so we got her ready, packed her stuff and off we went, albeit being half an hour later than planned.

We reached the Immigration Office around 7.15pm and parked right in front of the office. 

At that time, there were ample parking space whereby the mamak stalls were filled with office workers grabbing their breakfast and you can see the makcik selling nasi lemak setting up their stalls too, so if you wish to grab a quick breakfast, you have a lot of choices around.

As we climbed the stairs heading to the department, a lady immediately grabbed our attention with "Nak buat passport? Ambik gambar dulu."

I initially hesitated, saying that we needn't take a picture (yes, I've read some blogs saying that you need not bring any photos) as I didn't want to be cheated out of my money for something I wouldn't end up using!

But the lady said "Bukan untuk awak, untuk anak awak. Diaorang tak amik gambar budak bawah 6 tahun sebab susah."

I see. 

So we prepped our toddler for a picture taking session. 

Yes, tough at first as she refused to look at the camera and was smiling AT ME instead! 

"Look at the camera, baby," I told my little toddler.

The lady who took her picture said "Tengok camera, hello! Senyum! Hi." I could see she was also trying to grab my toddler's attention. 

Whilst my toddler and I were in the room taking pics, hubby was outside busy completing forms for both of us which the lady had handed out to him, "Ini borang kena isi untuk apply passport. Nah, percuma."

Wow, very efficient of her! 

It took us around 15 minutes or so to get it sorted and hubby asked me to line up first. 

We were number 13 in the queue.

Two RELA officers were standing guard, asking everyone to get their ICs ready and they ensured that the everyone was in line, not blocking the pathway. 

They also handed out the same forms and requested everyone to complete the forms (which the lady had handed out earlier to us at the photo shop).

The two RELA officers, despite looking serious, are actually very helpful and will most definitely answer any questions you have in the most kind manner. 

Everyone else was very courteous in the queue, like WOW! I'm truly impressed. (Faith in humanity restored!)

Doors were opened around 7.45am.

You need to prepare:
1) IC or Birth Cert for your child
2) 2 Photos of your child
3) Copy of IC / Birth Cert
4) Completed Form(s): Personal details, including your height and also for how long you wish to renew it for. <You can measure your height by yourself in the Immigration Office>

RELA officers will guide you to the counter.

Approach the counter, they'll check that your documents are in order and they'll give you a number.

Take a seat. 

You'll need to wait until 8am, then they'll start operations. 

Wait for your number to appear on the screen. 

We went to counter 11.

Hand over the same documents and you'll be required to take a picture here. There's a mirror too at the counter so you can check your hair before snapping your photo. You'll be required to sign on a document too, along with your thumbprint. 

The officer checked her screen, checked the documents and printed a document, passed it to me. 

Take a seat, again.

Wait until your number is called.

This time we went to counter 8.

Paid RM300 for 5-years renewal.

The officer will return your IC and produce a receipt. "Boleh ambil passport dalam masa sejam ya."

I decided to wait inside the office instead.

45 minutes later, my number suddenly appeared. 

I approached the counter, was asked for my old passport, she looked at it and stamped on it. She handed over my new passport, requested me to check the details on the passport and sign.

Walla, all done by 9.30am! :)

Photo is in black and white so don't worry if you didn't manage to apply your make-up so early in the morning :D


Getting there:

Jabatan Imigresen Wangsa Maju


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)