Thursday 20 March 2014

The Not-So-Ideal Toddler's Schedule: March 19, 2014

Our toddler had a sleepless night so naturally, it affected my sleep.
She wanted to nurse a couple of times until I got a bit frustrated. :(

She decided to wake up at 5am (my goodness!), ran out of the room and followed Daddy around the house as he was getting ready for work. 
Of course, she also wanted to follow Daddy out the door.
Whilst Daddy was putting on his shoes, she went "Want to wear shoes!"
Daddy asked if she wanted to wear his shoes. 
She smiled gleefully and slipped both her small feet into his shoes whilst exclaiming "It's too big!" but didn't remove the shoes and headed out the door, following Daddy closely behind. 
She struggled to drag both the already big shoes around but seems to have the patience (and persistence) to walk in Daddy's shoes. :)
As Daddy persuaded her to stay home and that he'll see her later in the evening, there was a mini-protest from the little munchkin but she obliged "Ok!" and walked back confidently into the house with the shoes.

After waving goodbye to Daddy and blowing kisses his way, we went into the house and she asked for her formula. 
I prepared her formula, gave it to her as she watched the TV and I headed into the bathroom for a quick shower.
I came back out, made up the bed, performed my prayers and cleaned up the kitchen a bit.

It was already 7am+ when I was done with the kitchen so I asked her to take her shower, of course, she'd initially hesitate.
Once she's all showered, clothed, hair combed and nails trimmed, I prepared her butter & toast, cheese slice and grape juice.
I had my usual freshly brewed coffee with butter & toast.
Our activity for today took a different turn.

I let her decide what she wanted to do instead of dictating that she needed to ie color a book / play with her blocks for a certain duration. 
I read that toddlers her age should be given some freedom as to the activity they wish to do and not for too long.

I started with building blocks when she was engrossed with another activity (making a mess of the living room) and she eventually joined in. 
Before I proceeded with the activity, we worked on cleaning up the mess together.

Once done, we started piling the blocks as high as we can, identifying the different colors and grouping them together, identifying the alphabets printed on all sides of each block (read: attempt since she was more interested in piling them together) and stacking the blocks in her wagon where she'd control the wagon and try to bring the blocks around the house.


We cleared the blocks and proceeded to reading. 
She cleverly laid out a small mat, took the box containing books and laid the box next to the mat whilst I gave her a small cushion to rest on.
We read up to 5 books today, all picked out by her.
Three books were from the Dora & Diego series which hubby bought at a petrol station which was worth RM3 per book. 
It's interesting considering she was able to name all the characters in the cartoon series.

Attempted to color with her, unfortunately, she was only able to focus like 5 minutes and she moved on to the next activity. 

She took out flash cards for Alif, Ba, Ta and we attempted to sort the cards. 
So far so good until huruf 'ain'.
She got bored, or perhaps tired, so we cleared the books away, which she happily did on her own whilst singing some tune (only God knows to what tune she was singing to but it's extremely adorable!).

It was already 1pm+ by the time we finished our activities. 
I attempted to feed her lunch, but she refused food outright. 
I then asked if she wanted to take a nap, to which she immediately said "Yes!"
So we ended up napping from 1pm+ to 6pm today.
Ok, not me as I got up to perform my prayers and did some reading, then went back to bed.
She stirred for a moment and quickly grabbed me to bf.

Once she woke up, I gave her formula whilst I prepared a quick dinner.
We then showered and Daddy reached home just when she was about to wear her diapers.
Yes, she literally ran out of the room diaper-less just so she could greet Daddy and say "Hi, Daddy!"
She ran back into the room and got all excited to put on her PJs since Daddy's home. :)

We performed our prayers, I completed some laundry and we had dinner.
It was free-time hereafter as she's able to watch TV or play with her iPad whilst I caught up on some emails / work.

We retired close to 12 midnight since she kept wanting Daddy's attention.

Ok, so this isn't an ideal schedule for a toddler since she woke up too early, took a longer nap than her usual naptime and slept off quite late.

However, in terms of the activities, I've noticed that she dislikes coloring, the only activity which she could only focus on doing for 5-minutes.
We know that she loves painting so we'll do that tomorrow.

In terms of outlining the schedule, can't really restrict a certain activity for say an hour of playing with blocks and another hour for reading. 
Her attention span differs and so does her interest so it's more of me letting her decide what she wants to do. 
Within one morning, we could fit up to 3 activities back-to-back.
On other days, she'd probably only want to do 1 or 2 in the morning and continue on in the afternoon or evening.

Another crucial thing which I heavily put emphasis on would be cleaning up her toys / table, ensuring cleanliness ie washing her hands / bathing / brushing her teeth / not to wear the same clothes day in and out as clothes need to go into the washer too!!!

As she's 2 years and 7 months of age, that'll work, for now. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)