Monday 30 July 2012

Can I Bring A Camera to the Hospital Delivery Room?


She is a strong lady and will always love her


Is digital camera allowed in the labor room? 

Can I document the delivery procedure? 

Is the doctor alright with me recording the operation? 

Can I take a video during delivery? 

Any specific restrictions for cameras during delivery? 

Can I take the picture with my camera phone when my baby arrives?


I believe these are some of the questions asked by first-time parents and those who have digital toys at their disposal. 


This was the main reason why we chose a hospital which allowed cameras to be brought into the labor room.

For the record, both Ampang Puteri Hospital and Prince Court Medical Centre allows the husband to record the entire delivery procedure on the digital camera of your choice; DSLR / video camera / mobile phone. 

However, I did not ask if a professional photographer or other family members were allowed to be in the labor room.

They didn't even allow my in-laws to enter the delivery room (PCMC).


Even if you were allowed to bring in a camera, will you be able to handle the recording yourself? 

Would you be able to remain calm and composed whilst your other half is fighting for her life delivering your baby? 

Can you concentrate? 

Is your wife OK to be left in the care of the doctor and nurses? (she's not screaming for you to be next to her)


If all the above is a YES, good for you, buddy! 

Congratulations and good luck in taking your baby's arrival pictures! 


As for me, I have all the above ticked but my conscious told me that I need to be next to my beloved and offer support and encouragement. 

The best part was when the doctor had a huge spotlight switched on during the procedure while he was seated between 2 nurses. 

It felt so surreal as the lighting and the scenario is just so picturesque, I felt like grabbing my camera to shoot. 

Only for my conscious to get the best of me to stay put and not go anywhere.


She is just a few minutes old when this picture was taken


Once the baby is out, that's when you have to be quick and smart. 

Kiss the wifey and azan the baby (for Muslims) while shooting a video at the same time. 

I had the opportunity to record the historic moment and definitely going to treasure this for years to come. 

So, to all fathers out there, make full use of your digital equipment to freeze time and capture your own timeless event. 

Good luck and break a leg!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from YOU! :)